Friday, April 1, 2011

Letter #72 - Matt

I am not a polygamist and yet I have two husbands.  I have the man I married and live with, and I have Matt.  Matt is my "camp husband"... in fact my legal husband is the one who dubbed him such, and almost formally signs me over to Matt when he drops me off at camp (he usually can't stay for the whole week).

Matt is responsible for my official introduction to my husband because the summer we met, Matt was a little starstruck by my husband and insisted I be the one to ask him to come hang out with us for the afternoon.  As a result there was endless laughter, and my husband (to be) asked for my number in the walmart parking lot (you just can't make this stuff up)

I created and now run a huge photo program at our church family camp every summer.  I started it out of sheer boredom one year, and it has turned into a staple component and significant fundraiser, it's pretty awesome.  Matt has been with me since about year 2 of this and the amount of time we spend together at camp, it's no wonder he's been dubbed my camp husband :o)

Matt is an incredible guy, I adore him.  He's dependable, creative, silly (which is important at 3AM), and a super sweetheart.  He is also a spiritual rock for me, even if he doesn't know it.  His faith and unwavering dedication to his faith inspire me constantly.  His willingness to stay up until all hours of the night, even if his work is done, just to keep me from going crazy, is beyond appreciated.  His ability to take the brunt of our last day activities so I can sleep in a little (I still usually send him to bed at some point before me on our last night) is saintly.  The fact that even though he moved out of state after our first year together at camp, he still saves his vacation time and pays all that extra money in travel expenses to be there as part of my team is simply awesome.  In fact, he did the same to spend his birthday with us last fall to celebrate our wedding.

About this time every year I start to get excited about camp, thinking up new ways of hopefully letting us get more sleep, and looking forward to more late-night silliness with Matt (such as roasting marshmallows over votive candles, or watching Sister Act 2 for the millionth time, or covering almost every square inch of visible skin in washable markers...)  Usually this eagerness results in increased texting and facebooking, but this year I decided to also send him a letter.  Writing him made me ever more excited for camp to come, because this year we will have a bit larger team, and I'm hoping my real husband will be there with us as well...

Matty I love you to bits... thank you for everything you do to support me, and to support our amazing squad, and just for generally being AMAZING.  Can't wait to see you in a few months!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment