Sunday, April 24, 2011

Letter #74 - Finian

I've always had a thing for blonds, or rather, blonds seem to have always had a thing for me.  Many of my crushes were blonds, and most of my boyfriends were blond, and all of my marriage proposals were from blonds... one from a two year old, one from a three year old and one from my husband.  Finian was the three year old.  I think he's managed to get over the heartache of losing me to someone my own age though, and is more concerned with girls his own age now (he is quickly approaching teenagerdom).  Even though wedded bliss wasn't in the cards for us, Finn will always hold a special place in my heart.  In fact, this summer he gets to be my 'camp son' for a week and I'm thrilled to have the chance to hang out with him!  Finn is one of those kids who has a good heart but often seems to just get into complex and unfair life situations.  The past several months we have been able to grow our friendship a bit more, and I have forged an unexpected, yet lovely relationship with his mother.   I sent him a letter because I thought it might send a deeper message of caring than an FB post on his wall, and I hope that message carries through.  I am proud of his values but I think he is entering an age where he will face possibly even cruel scrutiny for standing by those values.  High school can be incredibly harsh for kids who are unique, and I hope I can become an extra branch in his support system to help him flourish into the incredible guy he's already becoming.

No comments:

Post a Comment