Sunday, June 26, 2011

Letter #92 - Jim

I am a photographer.  I haven't formally studied photography, but I have had the great privilege of having some fantastic mentors in my life who taught me a lot, and who encouraged me on my journey, and critiqued my work.  About 5 years ago I decided to launch my own photography business, as a side job.  The intent was always to make a little extra money doing something I love, but not committing to it full-time.  Photography is a creative outlet for me, and if I'm relying on it solely for my income then it becomes more of a job, and I don't love it as much.  I didn't want to force myself to fall out-of-love with my passion, so I've never pursued it full time.  Even since I've been laid off I have amped up my efforts, but am still seeking full time employment that isn't photography.

Jim was one of my photo-mentors.  I met Jim by accident, because he happened to have arrived early at a worship service, and I was standing at the podium with my father, hyperventilating and sobbing my heart out.  I had agreed to say a prayer at the opening service of our church's world conference, and was the opening prayer before our President-Prophet preached.  There were about 5000 people in attendance, plus it was being broadcasted on many of the local tv networks, and world wide on a live streaming webcast.  The reality of what I had agreed to do had just sunk in, and my poor dad was trying to get me as settled as he could before the service began.  I was freaking out.  Jim witnessed all of this (unbeknownst to me).  When the service began and I settled in my seat (alone on the rostrum with the top 3 leaders of our church at the time... no added pressure!) - I discovered that when they tell you the lights will be so bright you won't hardly see anyone, they're lying.  I felt my heart catch in my throat again, and tried to look down without looking as though I was looking down.  That's when I saw Jim.  He gave me the biggest smile and just nodded at me.  The rest of the service, I just focused on him, and his smile never broke.  He got me through the entire thing and I had never even met him before.


That was the beginning of a beautiful friendship, and once he discovered that I had a budding interest in photography, he jumped on it and offered to critique some of my work.  From then on, he would take me around church events as his assistant, until he eventually promoted me to staff photographer (a very exciting day!).  He would invite me to come stay with him and his wife for a weekend to tour me around and take photos.  He taught me how to use photoshop, and how to better frame a shot, and gave me tips on shooting portraits.  He introduced me to his brother-in-law, another excellent photographer who also took me under his wing.


Whenever I hear from Jim I am always anxious to see what he has to say about my latest work, and eager to hear how life is treating him.  He recently contacted me and asked if I would be willing to share a testimonial that he could put on his website, so I decided to send it to him long hand along with a letter.


I may not see Jim as much as I like, and I may not keep in touch as much as I used to, but he's with me every single time I pick up my camera, and I am forever grateful for that smile!

No comments:

Post a Comment