Thursday, March 3, 2011

Letter #60 - Herman

I am so blessed by my family.  I had a wonderful upbringing and so many opportunities that most kids don't get.  I lived the life of an expat and as a result I also got to meet a lot of family and friends I would have otherwise never had the chance to meet.  While I *had* met Oome Herman prior to my family moving to Rotterdam, I wouldn't have gotten to know him nearly as well as we did having lived so much closer.  Hetty & Herman are my dad's aunt and uncle, making them my great-aunt and great-uncle.  And they are truly great.  They took us under their wing from the second we stepped off that plane in Amsterdam, and my life wouldn't be the same without them in it.  Last month I received news that Oome Herman is once again battling cancer.  I was devastated.  In 2008 I had the chance to bring my (then boyfriend) to Europe with me for a two week stay.  During that time we spent a few days in Eindhoven with my dutch family.  Oome Herman was ill then as well, and I really really struggled with seeing him that way.  He wasn't up to leaving the house, which meant we spent way more time with my aunts and cousins, and only saw him a little bit.  It was troubling to me, but at the same time I was so incredibly grateful to be able to sit with him and watch tv and snuggle.  When we left, he promised that the following year he would be coming to visit for our wedding.  I laughed and told him it might be more than a year and he assured me I was wrong.  I wasn't, but it wasn't as far off as I had expected.  Just 2 years later we were getting married, and Herman was too sick to come.  Again I was devastated.  I of course understood but was so sad that he was no longer able to travel, since I don't know when I'll have another chance to see him.

This week I sent him a letter in a card that I hope will make him laugh.  I sent him some photos and a whole lot of love.  He's having surgery this month and I just pray it helps, he's in a lot of pain which bothers me tremendously.  I pray my next trip to the Netherlands won't be for his funeral but for another visit with him.  He makes me laugh so much, I have never laughed until I cried more often than in his presence.  He has so much love in his heart and I miss him so very much.  Those reading this entry, I would appreciate prayers or good thoughts or positive energy... whatever your form of well wishing to him and his wife... that they may get some relief from these struggles.

No comments:

Post a Comment