Tuesday, February 8, 2011

Letter #39 - Bob

I have had many blessings in my life.  One of these blessings has included nearly endless opportunities to meet new people.  This can include celebrities, CEOs for Fortune 50 companies, and normal every day people like Bob.  When I met Bob he was working at the Royal Park Hotel, where my boss at the time and I basically lived for 2 years while we completed a leadership seminar we were conducting.

I used to love it when Bob was on staff for our dinners, and would spend time chatting with him while the rest of the group mingled or talked business.  Bob would also let me sneak as many maraschino cherries as I wanted from his stash behind the bar, and always gave me extras in my drinks.

Awhile ago, I received news from one of Bob's colleagues that he had retired, and that he was battling cancer.  She sent me a link to the blog his family was using to keep loved ones posted on his condition, and I have diligently followed his highs and lows as he and his family struggle through this incredibly difficult time.  At the end of last year, I succeeded in getting a snail mail address for Bob, so this week I'm finally getting around to sending him a letter.  I tried to balance my message between just catching up and still acknowledging the struggle he's going through.  I continue to hold him in my heart in the hopes that his health will improve, his spirits (from all of the postings) appear to be strong most days, so I hope his body can keep up with that spirit.

No comments:

Post a Comment