Wednesday, February 23, 2011

Letter #51 - Kris

When I was young, my parents often "adopted" young couples and became friends with them, and mentors of sorts.  They would have them over for dinner, share with them about their own experiences, watch them start their families, and become very influential in their lives.  Watching them do this, it never really occurred to me that one day I would be half of a young couple like that, and that maybe I would like someone to take me under their wing in a similar way.  Never really occurred to me until my husband and I met Kris and her husband Steve.  We met them just a few months into our marriage, and they have certainly taken us under their wing.  They've had us to their home for dinner, they've been in ours, and they've attended some of my husbands gigs.  It's been very cool to have an older (non family) couple befriend us and make us feel welcomed by their friendship.  The last time we spent an evening together, I discovered that Kris was dealing with some family health issues - several all at once.  Having been in that position myself before, I decided to send her a little note of encouragement and smiles.  I am grateful to have her and her husband fill a role in our lives that I grew up watching my parents fill for other young couples.  I hope that someday my husband and I will be in a position to pay both their kindness, and their friendship forward!

No comments:

Post a Comment