Monday, February 14, 2011

Letter #41 - Jason

Social Media is a fascinating thing.  It allows us to connect with people from all over the world at the simple click of a mouse.  I have to smile sometimes at the concerns expressed by "older" people in my life over communicating with complete strangers.  Not that there aren't valid safety issues, but in many respects, friends on facebook are a lot like the pen pals of past generations.  Communicating with someone you may have never met face to face, sharing whatever part of you and your life you feel comfortable sharing with them, engaging in a relationship without having ever seen the way they dress or hearing their voice.

The creation of this blog was meant mostly to give me something to track this project.  I didn't particularly care if anyone else ever read it or got anything out of it... if they did that was a bonus.  One of my cyber-friends, Jason, apparently does read this blog, and it does appear to mean something to him.  When I posted an earlier blog post on my Facebook page and invited friends wishing to receive a letter at some point to be sure I had their addresses, he sent me his.  I thought that was awesome.  Not only was my project impacting someone, but they wanted to be a part of it now too!

Last night I finally finished off a research paper I've been neck-deep in for over a week.  I celebrated by powering down and working on some letters and reading for fun for a change.  Jason will be the recipient one of the letters I wrote.  Having only ever corresponded with Jason on Facebook, it was kind of cool to be addressing him in a completely new way.  It was surprising to me that a change in medium could make such a difference in the way I approached the communication.  I also realised through adding him to my list, that Jason lives really close to my husband and I... small world!

I hope he enjoys the letter, I sure enjoyed writing it :o)

No comments:

Post a Comment