Tuesday, February 1, 2011

Letter #30 - Aunt Pat

I have a very large adopted family.  Aunt Pat has been a part of that adopted family for as long as I can remember.  She has another half, Uncle Jim, who passed away last year.  It still feels weird to say her name without his.  When I was doing my undergrad, I spent a lot of my summers with them in their home in Toronto.  They were a huge part in helping me to understand what healthy relationships should look like.  Since Uncle Jim's death, I have quadrupled my efforts to keep in touch with Aunt Pat.  We are eagerly anticipating the results of her recent eye surgery in the hopes that she will be able to come and visit us soon and get a much needed break from her current every day life.

Writing to Aunt Pat always fills me with very intense emotions, and I usually need a few moments to sit and reflect after I've finished writing her a letter.  I hope my card brings a smile to her face and a hug to her heart.  I have a deep love and appreciation for Aunt Pat and just keep holding her in my heart through this time of transition for all of us.

No comments:

Post a Comment