Sunday, February 13, 2011

Letter #40 - Connie Sue

Sometimes it's difficult to remember that the kids who were kids when I last saw them in person are now teenagers and young adults.  That presents a challenge when I write to them because I have to be very conscious of my tone and language.  Instead of asking them how school is, I have to ask what they're studying, or if they've decided on what they want to do when they graduate.  Instead of using phrases like "I hope you are having fun" it's "what kinds of stuff are you doing these days?"  It puts me in a reflective mode as I remember letters I used to get from older friends as I was growing up.

Letter #40 went to a girl I know named Connie Sue.  I met Connie Sue at a church camp in Alaska the same year I met my husband.  I got talked into helping out with the Junior High class and ended up having a really fun time getting to know the 10 kids in the class and spending time with them.  We taught each other crazy campfire songs, made s'mores, wandered around nature preserves, etc.  It was overall just a really neat week.  Connie Sue, her brother and her cousin were all in that class, and we spent a lot of time watching the family dynamics unroll.  It was cool to see that even though they picked on each other a lot, they also still liked each other quite a bit, similar to my brother and I at those ages.

I sent Connie Sue a wedding photo and invited her to look me up if she was on facebook (I haven't been able to find her there yet).  We have exchanged a handful of letters over the years, but I'm hoping this one will maybe invite a more regular exchange.  She was a really neat kid and I'd love to get to know the young woman she's grown into since I last saw her!

No comments:

Post a Comment