Thursday, February 24, 2011

Letter #52 - Debra

When I think back on past relationships I've been in, there was always one glaring red flag for me when I would consider if this was gonna be "the one" or not.  I never loved their families.  In one case I was afraid of the guys family.  That always bothered me.  I come from a very close knit family (immediate & extended) and it's a big deal to me.  I couldn't quite wrap my head around spending the rest of my life with someone whose family made me uncomfortable.  Clearly none of them became my in-laws so we're all good there... but I wonder if that didn't help my husband's case even more when I met his family and loved them all.  Even his awkward pre-teen cousin who spent the day peeling my sunburn when he thought I wasn't looking (he's grown out of that phase by now).  I love my in-laws.  Parents, aunts & uncles, siblings, cousins... they're awesome.  That's why I decided to write to Aunt Debbie.

I don't know Aunt Debbie nearly as well as I would like to, and so this letter was about reaching out to her to hopefully get to know her better.  I love just about everything I do know about her, and she is one of the most pleasant and caring women you could ever hope to meet.  She always greets us ALL with a huge smile, a big hug and sparkling eyes.  Her laugh is infectious and you can tell how deeply she loves her family, just by looking at her.  She's awesome.

As I wrote my letter all I could hear was her laughter in my head, and all I could see was her smiling face.  I really hope that this relationship continues to grow because I feel like she has so much to offer me that I haven't been able to reach out and accept yet... I hope that changes really soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment