Thursday, February 24, 2011

Letter #53 - Ivana

My first year of high school was an international experience.  Not just because it was our last year in Rotterdam, but because I went to the International high school there.  My class had about 14 students representing 12 countries.  For someone who has a sharp ear for accents, and a tendency to unknowingly adopt them in her own speech, I sounded WEIRD by the time I left that school :o)

One of my classmates was a drop dead gorgeous Croatian girl named Ivana.  Ivana and I got along well that year, though we weren't bestest friends.  I think had circumstances in class politics been different, we may have been much closer during that time.  Since then (and it's been about 15 years) we have kept in somewhat regular contact, and I just recently got a really great email from her.  I was glad to write her this week and catch up a bit again.  She had asked a bit about our wedding so I sent her a photo and told her about it.  Caught her up on my life a bit and asked how things were with her.

It's really awesome to me that I have some friends I am able to keep in touch with even though we haven't seen each other in 15 years.  I moved to the US the year after that, and she has since moved back to Croatia.  We keep in touch online and facebook stalk each other with some regularity.  She's a beautiful girl with a beautiful personality and I hope someday that we are able to see each other again and catch up in person!

No comments:

Post a Comment