Sunday, January 23, 2011

Letter #21 - Madeline

One of my letters this week went to Madeline, who is the wife of a former colleague of my dad's.  When we first moved to MI, Madeline was someone I saw pretty regularly at church events, and she and my mum were good friends.  When I decided to go to MSU, Madeline was excited to fill the role of my "school mom" and did a great job.  She would keep tabs on me, send me care packages, etc.  During my time at MSU, I felt close to her, even if we didn't see each other more than usually about once a week at church (sometimes more).  My time there was also a time of stress and transition (some good, some bad) for her family, so in some ways I think we could have been much closer, but life got in the way.  Madeline worked for a seniors home, and our church group activities often included spending time with her residents.  I usually looked more forward to these to see the smile it brought to Madeline's face than I did for the sake of the seniors... (not that the seniors weren't important too, of course!)

After I graduated and moved away, Madeline became one of those faces I missed a lot.  I got to a point where I feel like I have no idea what is going on in her life anymore, and I don't really like that feeling.  So I wrote her a note, sent her a few wedding photos (she wasn't able to make the wedding due to work), and am hoping it will renew our communication for the future!

No comments:

Post a Comment