Wednesday, January 12, 2011

Letter #8 - Sam

I have known Sam since I was a freshman in college.  He was one of my first friends there and has stayed someone I keep close in my heart ever since.  A group of us used to meet for lunch on Thursdays, every single week and Sam & I were almost always the first two to arrive, so we would save tables for everyone else and spend the time catching up with each other while we waited.  We became housemates for awhile and Sam was always around to chat with, complain about class schedules to, to cook with or eat with (we both love to be in the kitchen!)... etc etc.  When Sam moved out I really missed having him around.

Writing my letter to Sam brought me right back to the kitchen... me trying in vain to only cook for one (he was great at helping me finish off my leftovers... I can only repeat the same meal so many times before I would just rather not eat at all!) and Sam either pitching in, looking on, or leaning in the doorway making conversation.  It was a great experience, being able to let my mind focus on such great memories.

There is a church event coming up next month and I am hoping that he will be there and that we will have a chance to chat.  The last time I was supposed to see him he had a death in the family, so we didn't end up connecting.  I close this entry heading to the kitchen to make dinner for my husband and I, but knowing that Sam will be in my head, leaning against the doorway :o)

No comments:

Post a Comment