Sunday, January 23, 2011

Letter #23 - Tante Mary

I have never really gotten to know my grandparents very well.  Moving around has taken me geographically far from them most of my life, and now I only have one who is still living.  As a result, I don't know them nearly as well as I would have liked.  I've always envied my husband who had all four of his grandparents until he was in his twenties.

On the flip side, I have had the blessing of getting to know some of my great aunts and uncles very well.  When my family lived in the Netherlands, I was able to meet a lot of my fathers' extended family.  One of these is my Tante (Aunt) Mary.  Her husband passed away before we moved there so I never got to meet him, but she is a wonderful wonderful lady.  We spent so much time with her, shopping, sitting chatting, drinking tea, etc.  When I was able to take my husband with me to Europe to meet some of my friends & family, we spent lots of time with Tante Mary.  She introduced Austin to stamppot, which is why I now have to make it regularly for him :o)

My note to Tante Mary included some photos of the kittens - she's a critter freak too :o)  Her dog Rocky is 15 years old and acts like a puppy still.  Tante Mary isn't much of a writer, but I know she enjoys hearing from us.  I usually hear from her at my birthday and at Christmas, and I hope that life will allow us to go back and visit at least one more time before she's no longer with us...!

No comments:

Post a Comment